November 16, 2012

DIY: Faux Druzy Necklace

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial

I first discovered druzy jewelry a few months on Hautelook and ever since then I've noticed them more often. I love the raw organic look of them, but not the price. I have yet to discover a piece that I like that doesn't come with a steep price tag. So I set about faking making my own, and I actually like them. Wanna know how to make them? Then keep reading :)

So, what do you need you say? Well here are the things I used:

Glass - get some bottles at a flea market, pick some up at the beach - we'll be breaking them 
Pendant Tray - you know, the one where you stick cabochons on
Hammer
Mod Podge
Nail Polish - preferably a sheer version of the color you prefer, and a metallic one too
Make-up Sponge
Nail Polish Remover
Q-Tips
Necklace Chain
Protective Wear! 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
These are my glass bits - I picked them off the beach the last time my fiance and I were there - I don't think they're sea glass, more like just cheap broken beer bottle bits. But I took them with me still - me, the pack rat who thinks everything can be made into something. And I was right! Hahaha. :)

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Anyway, get your hammer and pound away. I suggest you double ziploc-bag it before doing so, or you'll end up injured. Use caution! I will not be held liable for any injuries. LOL.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
You'll have something like this. You will want the medium and smaller bits, but not the powder, so sift through that.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Pour a layer of mod podge on your pendant tray, and pile on the glass bits. You want to get the small pieces on every gap.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
It will look like this. Let it dry.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
After the first layer dries, you may want to put on a second layer - to do so, coat it again with a layer of mod podge and pile with the smaller glass bits. Again, let it dry. On the photo above, the upper right one and the bottom one have two layers. I think it looks better (in the end) with two layers instead of one. 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Paint with your metallic base. Coat the whole thing with polish.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Now, after the base polish dries, coat with your main color. 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial




Get your sponge and sponge out the excess main polish color. Actually, it's just all about building color to mimic the natural ones.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial


Build up your colors until you get your desired effect. On the photo above, I alternated with sheer purples, blues, greens, bronzes, golds and silvers.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial


After that dries, clean up the sides with some nail polish remover and q-tips. Then add your jump ring and necklace chain and you're done!

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial
Look at that sparkly goodness.

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial


I made several. I'm still thinking of a way to seal them though - should it be mod podge, diamond glaze or clear nail polish? Anyway, aside from that, I think these turned out pretty well - I'm proud of them. I may even sell them someday - I'm wondering if I should open a shop or something. 

DIY-fake-druzy-quartz-necklace-tutorial




Anyway, what do you guys think about these babies? Craft a couple up for yourself or to give away this Christmas. Leave me a lovely comment, and enjoy your weekend! :)
Update 2/5/2013:
Okay, just gonna try this. I entered this contest right here, check it out! :)

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

75 comments :

  1. Looks beautiful..I love these and I want to try my hand at it as soon as I find some broken glass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beer bottles are great for it. haha!

      Delete
    2. I'd seal with clear nail polish. I use it for everything.

      Delete
  2. Im so making one of these! I too love druzys. I like your idea because I can make a red one, I never seem to find any red druzy jewelry. but if your looking to sell these, etsy would be perfect you can click on my name (url) to see my shop and its cheap and easy to sell on etsy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Etsy. It's just that I don't know the mechanics of starting a shop, so I'm still researching :D thanks for the advise and happy crafting, monica! :)

      Delete
  3. What a great idea using the glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...i just don't know if it's considered eco-crafting or not. haha!

      Delete
  4. Brilliant! I just shared it on my facebook fan page - I think my fans will love this project! www.facebook.com/not2shabbey

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! What an awesome idea ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree they are beautiful but was wondering...does the modge podge soften the sharp edges???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that it does that, yes. I never got a single injury from crafting these. I guess it depends on the type of glass, though. o.o

      Delete
  7. Hi Kathie!
    I never heard of Druzy jewelry until I read your post, and I'm quite fond of jewellery and jewellery making, hehe.
    Your versions looks BEAUTIFUL and I totally agree; the metallic and organic look of them is amazing and eclectic. :)
    Thanks for sharing the inspiration ! Now I must go out and search for broken glass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I meant Aki not Kathie. :) I was just reading another jewellery tutorial by someone called Kathie, so I mixed you guys up!

      Delete
    2. Wow, I completely skipped out on reading comments last thanksgiving week. Haha. thanks for the compliment Aysha! <3 and it's okay lol :D

      Delete
  8. What perfect timing! I was just looking at necklaces like these the other day wondering what I could use to make fake ones (I was originally thinking broken mirrors, because that's what I had on hand). These look wonderful! If I make my own I'll be sure to link you from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make one, it's fun! at least the smashing-the-glass part. hahaha! :)

      Delete
  9. oh girl!! It's fantasnic! I've never had this idea but I should try it :) Have a nice weekend! Ps my blog it's about DIY too, if you like to visit me ^^ Kisses!!

    http://itsmellslikeateenspirit.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try it, it's really fun. and i'll be sure to visit your blog~ :)

      Delete
  10. I think it's a great idea, but won't you have to be really careful with the necklace since it would still be sharp in the front from the glass. I'm still going to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, I've worn it a couple of times and not a nick on me happened. I think the thick nail polish protects you from the sharp edges. And the mod podge. :D

      Delete
  11. Hi! Love these. Just wondering what you decided to use to seal them? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't seem to get damaged, so instead of risking wrecking it I just left them like so. @_@

      Delete
  12. Instead of glass, I used small rocks that I found by Lake Superior (because I'm collecting the glass for another project). I hammered down some of the bigger rocks like you did with the glass.

    While I haven't gotten to the nail polish stage yet, it looks like they're working just as well!

    This is an awesome project. Thanks for sharing! I'm stoked to give them away as little christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were the rocks as easy to smash like glass? Hmm. Awesome substitution idea, i love it - rocks are easier to find. Anyway, thanks for liking it! :)

      Delete
  13. hi! first of all i absolutely LOVE this!! so brilliant! i was just wondering where you found those pendant trays? i've looked all over for some i can't find any that are as simple as these, which is what i want. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) and I got them from www.beadcrafty.com, which is a UK store I think, but they do ship to the US. :)

      Delete
  14. as well as colouring them, did you make some with the glass just covered with clear nail polish ? I think if you used just one colour of glass they would look stunning as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose, but I was going for the druzy look and I thought it would only be achievable by using paint/nail polish as opposed to just using the clear.

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous! It's BRILLIANT how you layered the nail polish to give it the look you were going for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Great idea!

    Sarah from Craft Quickies

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them, i was so eager to try that i nabbed a chipped drinking glass out of the cabinet :P looking good so far- just hate waiting for stuff to dry!! Thanks for the tutorial- they look fab!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it too, but can't really do anything about it :D I hope you enjoyed making it! :D

      Delete
  18. Love your tutorial. Had fun trying my hand at one. Here is my first attempt if you would like to have a peek. http://cardwithd.blogspot.ca/2013/03/faux-druzy-necklace.html
    Keep up the great work. Love popping in to see what you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'd love to see, and thanks, Dee! :)

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement and for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  20. Love them, the green one is gorgeous :) Definitely will try and make them!
    Just found your blog and loved it - followed you :)

    Monica x
    The Total Opposite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! Followed you too! :3

      Delete
  21. They are amazing! That's really great idea,to do this like that. I've done some pieces, thank u for inspiration.

    Baaaf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you love them! :D

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, I appreciate that! :)

      Delete
  23. These looks awesome... loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. where would you guys look for the metal part or he necklace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can buy it at most craft stores or look for it on eBay or Etsy. :)

      Delete
  25. Question: there are so many Modge Podge things on the market. Which did you use? Would you mind posting a photo of it or linking to it?

    Also, what are your colors? Nail polish, paint, eye shadow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used matte but it doesn't really matter. You just need it to adhere the glass pieces to the base. And I used different colors of nail polish :)

      Delete
  26. Wow now thats a beauty...I have to have to have to follow you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thanks for the follow too! :3

      Delete
  27. Wow,, now thats a beauty... have to have to have to follow u..

    ReplyDelete
  28. haha this is gorgeous, i saw this bookmarked this page and decided to do my own. Needless to say....looooved it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. great project! i just want to ask is there a risk where the glass would fall off? is this quiet heavy? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not heavy at all, as the pieces are just tiny bits of glass fused together with glue. I have had no problems of glass bits falling off :)

      Delete
  30. I would definitely call this eco-crafting, Aki! Finding a use for (broken) glass and possibly-old nail polish colors? It’s a great and wallet-friendly idea. If you’re still wondering what to seal the pendants with, I would go with the clear nail varnish option. I use it to set and seal metal initial-letters onto craft boxes I make – it’s cheap, easy to clean up and it lasts for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Andrew! I eventually sealed one of the pendants with clear nail varnish but I prefer one without sealant - it makes it look more natural :)

      Delete
  31. Bonito blog, gracias por compartir, me gusta. cheap t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  32. USE SAKURA CRYSTAL LACQUER AS THE TOP LAYER---WATERPROOFS,SEALS,ETC. IT IS SHINY. YOU CAN BUY IT ONLINE AT VLVS.COM----STAMPO'S STORE IN VEGAS. I LOVE IT.
    LEE IN TEXAS

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love these. So bright and colorful. Thanks for sharing. Yes, you should open a shop, you would have such pretty one of a kind items that we all love to find. Like a lost treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looooooove this idea! Will definitely give it a try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  35. I also love this idea and intend to try it soon. I was thinking maybe a small bag of fish-tank gravel could be used for matching ring and earrings. Also, since druzy is the coating inside a geode, it's often attached to plain-looking rocks. It might look nice on a nugget-type of pendant, with just a little stuck in the crevasses. (Oooh! GOLD!) Great tutorial - *love* your colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, love that idea on a nugget-type of pendant - definitely a must try. Thank you for stopping by and hope you have fun making them! :)

      Delete
  36. Okay, just one more. Wonder how would it look to use coarse rock salt or epsom salts (already a mineral.) First, make inside the tray shiny, like with a small circle of aluminum foil to reflect the light (I'm guessing) then you could tuck in some tiny gold flakes, using those little jars of gold flakes they sell for nail polish decoration, or some carefully-placed large gold glitter pieces. It would really have to be sealed well, though, so rain or humidity wouldn't get to it. And I'm hoping nail polish won't melt it! Gold (or silver) embedded in clear crystal - that's what I wanna see in my gold pan! Thanks for coming up with such an inspirational idea! <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS